Saturday, February 8, 2014

eat | Starbucks K-Cups

I don't live at Starbucks. This becomes problematic for someone who requires coffee to start moving in the morning, as this means I'm not in the mood to make coffee until I've had my coffee.


Fortunately, I do live with a handy dandy Keurig machine, and I recently tried out the Starbucks Caffe Verona line of K-Cups.


The coffee actually brews, so don't worry about dealing with crummy instant stuff. I'd say it has a bit of a caramel flavour - THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT TASTES LIKE CARAMEL. This is a dark roast coffee, so be prepared for intensity.



A box of 24 K-Cups is $22.49, which comes out to about 94 cents a cup - significantly cheaper than a $2.00 tall in-store. I'm happy using 8 ounces of water with these pods, which keeps it at a healthy dark roast, but you could definitely thin it out and go with 10 ounces or cut it down to 6 (gulp!) and put hair on your chest. Even though a tall coffee is a little larger at 12 ounces, the K-Cups end up costing about 12 cents an ounce versus 17 cents an ounce at Starbucks. Pennies saved, I know, but it adds up.
Perfect for curling up with a good book - I picked The Book Thief.


Pros: Cheap. Convenient.
Faster than waiting in line.

Cons: You kind of need to have a Keurig.






No comments:

Post a Comment