Monday, July 14, 2014

read | The Screaming Staircase

I love this book. I read the Bartimaeus trilogy several years ago, so when I saw that this was the same author I grabbed it immediately. It's refreshing to pick up a YA book that doesn't fall into either the "dystopian" or "paranormal romance" genre that has been sweeping the shelves at Barnes and Noble. The premise for this novel - kind of Ghostbusters in London - is a welcome change of pace.

The novel starts in the middle of the action and uses a series of flashbacks to build its world. I'll admit, it took me a while to get through the first third of this book because I didn't latch onto the main plotline right away. When I figured out what was going on, I couldn't put it down. I love this story's construction and how it unfolds. I wish there had been more of it to read, even if that would mean a slower pace overall. I enjoyed the story, the characters, the setting, and I don't feel like I have a complete understanding of how the novel's world functions yet. In a good way. I've already preordered the sequel and I look forward to continuing this story come September.


5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment